Sunday, September 14, 2008

Dock St. Oyster Bar: Wilmington, NC

Someone headed to Wilmington, NC for a day, weekend, or few days of fun might be looking for something like this:
...the perfect place to kill a couple of hours in the evening eating steamed shellfish (crab, oysters, shrimp, mussels, etc.) and drinking beer. Seafood must be fresh and beer must be cold (microbrews are a plus). I tend to enjoy dives over fancy joints, but as long as the food is good, I'm happy. A place by the water/beach would also be a bonus, but again, not a requirement...
Dock St. Oyster Bar definitely fits this bill.

Located a few hundred yards from the dock on the intracoastal waterway, this restaurant serves up incredibly fresh fish, steamed oysters and mussels. The best part: the beer. They have my #1 favorite, Yuengling. And any establishment that carries Yuengling is on the top of my list. It's the same as marking which restaurants serve Pepsi or Coke.

My first time here was about 5 years ago. I was a soon-to-be senior in college, enjoying my last summer of freedom before adulthood was to set in. A giggly group of my closest friends drove down to the coast to catch fireworks and tanned men with no shirts on.

The fireworks were beautiful and so were the men. We danced, laughed, caroused on the beach, our eyes open to the world and the possibilities that lay ahead of us.

But before I get too wistful here, we ate great food.

For restaurant menu, click here.

Crabcake sandwich with roasted potatoes and a remoulade sauce

So you know what to look for when you're walking down the street...

A mural on one of the walls. Click to see larger image.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oooh! That's where my dad's from and we go every so often. I have got to check this place out next time!